We don’t traditionally think of our homes as vast stockpiles of poison, but they can certainly act that way to a dog or cat who doesn’t know how to read warning labels. If you’re a dog owner, you may have remembered to put away the chocolate brownies. But did you know that there are a number of other common items found around the house that can cause your pets to become seriously ill?
Flea and Tick Removal Treatments
Always follow the instructions when using a flea or tick removal product. If you use too much, pets can get sick from licking their fur or the fur of other animals that have had the treatment. Also, make sure you’re using the right product for your pet. Using a dog ointment on a cat could make the cat sick due to an unanticipated reaction.
Pest and Vermin Control
Poisons used to kill small pests and other insects can also harm your pets. Store these in a secure location.
Always keep your household cleaners, detergents and other powerful chemicals somewhere out of the reach of pets. They can very easily knock over a box if it is at their level and just as easily ingest it.
Lawn Care & Pesticides
For those who treat their lawn with pesticides and herbicides, make sure you keep your pets out of the yard until the potency of the chemicals has worn off. It’s a good idea to let your neighbors know that you’ll be treating your lawn so they can keep their pets safe too.
Pills in prescription bottles can be deadly to pets. Always keep your medications in a safe, locked cabinet. It only takes one or two pills for an animal to become dangerously sick.
Certain species of plants can be poisonous if they are chewed. Check with your local garden centre to find out what varieties of plants you should avoid when planting your garden.